Monday, July 13, 2015

THE DOGFISH STORY

Well, we were cruising down the river in a small canoe enjoying the sights, sounds, smells and feelings (as described in the last post) ...

...when all of a sudden a 45 cm (18 inch) peixe cachorro (dog fish) jumped out of the water and straight into the canoe, landing right under my (Lawanda's) skirt.  Caught there it began jumping and flopping viciously. Needless to say, I screamed loud enough to be heard above the noise of the motor! Pr. Antonio yelled back for me to sit still and not rock the boat! How does one sit still with an 18 inch fishing jumping under one's skirt? All that I could think of at that time was the terror of the fish sinking its long teeth into my leg. Have you ever seen a dogfish's teeth?

Finally Pr. Francisco was able to kneel in the canoe behind me and reach under the bench and grab the fish (which they kept for supper).  When I shared with my hubby my fear of being bitten, his reply was "That wouldn't have been the worst that could have happened. If you had jumped and turned over the canoe in the water...that would have been much more serious!" Thanks for the consolation! It wasn't jumping under HIS skirt! Here is Pr. Francisco holding up supper! They teased me about my new way to catch fish!
There were 6 people in the canoe. Why did the fish have to jump at me and no one else? Was it because I was the only woman on board? Those men will probably always laugh as they retell the "Dogfish Story" and recall Lawanda's squeals!
True Amazon Adventures!



No comments: