Saturday, February 18, 2017

My Dear Daddy Turned 80!


I am sad that I could not be in Greenville, NC for the wonderful birthday celebration on January 14th when my precious Daddy (ROBERT DOOLITTLE)  turned 80!  Fortunately, 4 of his 7 children were present.  Left to right: Roger, Peter (on furlough), Timothy and Rachel. Stephen and I couldn't be there as we are missionaries in Brazil, and Philip is in Heaven.
All 4 of my children, their mates, and several other grandchildren were present and sang family favourites.
Since I was unable to be present I wrote a poem for my Dear Daddy, which my daughter, Janalee read:
 I Am Blessed Because of You!


                                 I AM BLESSED BECAUSE OF YOU!

My precious, precious Daddy 
Please listen to what I say:
My heart’s desire is to be with you 

On this very special day.

But God’s will for my life (plus twenty-four hundred dollars) 
Have kept it from being so;
Yet, I wanted to make it crystal clear
That I love you more than you know!


And though deep longings fill my heart 
With bittersweetness I can’t express, 
The tears that I weep are not sad tears 
For, because of YOU, I am blessed!

The Bible says: “The just man walks 
In his integrity;
His children are blessed after him.” 

And that speaks of YOU and ME!

So how can I be saddened,
Discouraged, downhearted, or blue, 

When Proverbs twenty ,verse seven says
That I am blessed because of YOU?

I sat down and started counting
The ways you have blessed me,
But had to stop in a few minutes
For I had reached two hundred and three!


Plus, I knew you would get dizzy 
And your company tired and bored, 
If every single one of them
I honestly explored.


So, if I had to make a choice
 And choose just a word or two, 
To quickly demonstrate the ways 
That I’ve been blessed by you,

I would have to say that your Example 
Has touched me more than you’ll know, 
Giving ME the desire to serve
The God you portray and love so!


I am blessed with eternal salvation 
‘Cause your life showed God to me, 
And if you ask your other children 
I think they all would agree.

Now we see your grandchildren,
And great-grandkids, far as we know,

 Saved and spiritually growing 
Because of seeds you did sow.

You taught us how to have victory 
Over discouragement and sin, 
And showed us through life's trials 
How to overcome and win!

You made my life an adventure,
A high-flying and fun-filled course; 

And the darling Mom you chose for us 
Was the stabilising force.

And so I say Dear Daddy:
I love you with all of my heart.
I know that God is The Blesser,
But you were faithful in doing your part!


Happy 80th Birthday, Dad!
May your strength be as your days! 

Thank you so much for blessing my life 
In so many marvellous ways! 

                          By - Lawanda Doolittle Duarte January 14, 2017

No comments: